1. The principles of data processing
Stephen Beswetherick Opticians Ltd, trading as Stephen Beswetherick Opticians, processes personal information and aims to comply with the eight principles of data processing under the Data protection Act 1998. These are that personal data must be:
- Processed fairly and lawfully
- Processed for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and not further processed in any way that is incompatible with the original purpose.
- Adequate, relevant and not excessive.
- Processed in accordance with the data subject’s rights, including the data subject’s rights of access and right to object to the processing of their data in certain circumstances.
- Kept secure, with appropriate technical and organisational measures taken to protect the information.
- Not transferred to countries outside of the European economic area without adequate protection being provided to the personal data on individual subjects.
2. Meaning of personal data
Personal data means any information about a living individual which:
- Identifies that individual (for example, by name, address, qualifications, credit card number, national insurance number).
- Together with other information which is held by, or is likely to come into the possession of the data controller that will identify that individual; or
- Includes any expression of opinion about the individual or indication of the intentions of the data controller or any other person in respect of the individual.
3. Personal data held
Personal data is stored electronically on the practice computer system and also in hard copy, paper records.
4. Security of personal data
The Stephen Beswetherick Opticians practice shall continue to take appropriate technical and organisational measures to limit the opportunity for unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and to guard against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data. Appropriate contractual obligations shall be incorporated into contracts which the Stephen Beswetherick Opticians practice enters into with third parties.
The Stephen Beswetherick Opticians practice will continue to ensure that all staff are aware of their responsibilities in relation to the processing of personal data as it applies to their area of work. Where appropriate, training will be given.
The Stephen Beswetherick Opticians practice will review regularly the procedures by which staff process personal data.
5. Use of personal data held
The Stephen Beswetherick Opticians practice collects information to principally carry out the eye examination and dispensing functions required of an opticians practice and where necessary for use when referring to GPs or Hospital Eye Clinics. Data is also used for communication and marketing purposes e.g. to inform people on the practice database of their due appointment and occasionally with regard to new products and services.
6. Right of access to personal data held
Requests for access to personal data must be made in writing to Stephen Beswetherick, enclosing evidence that they are the data subject. The freedom of information policy is available in the practice and can be obtained by visiting the practice, by telephone or by an e mail request.
Copies of personal data will be supplied to the address provided or to the permanent address held by the practice.
7. Amendment of personal data held
Changes to personal data held can be made in writing or by telephone to the practice.
Any queries regarding data protection obligations should be addressed, in writing, to Stephen Beswetherick at:
Stephen Beswetherick Opticians Ltd (t/a Stephen Beswetherick Opticians)
60 Holyrood Street
Tel: 01460 63535